Just hit publish and traffic will come flooding to your blog right?
Hitting that publish button is barely even the start when it comes to getting your blog discovered. You need to implement a deliberate and systematic way for promoting your blog content. Otherwise there is a big chance that no one will ever read it. You could write a lengthy blog post that hits every touch point about a topic, solves every challenge your customer faces and is super-easy to read. But if your competitor offers a blog post half as good, but they promote it better than you, there is every chance your ideal customers will visit their site instead of yours.
A blog post I wrote for Bluewire Media called ‘Your Ultimate Blog Checklist‘ was shared in excess of 1000 times in 3 days (We offer that checklist as a free PDF download here). Of course there is an ounce of luck in anything going viral, but if you instill the discipline of a clear process for promotion every time you hit publish, you improve your chance of success. In the SlideShare below I take you through the 4-step process I went through to promote that blog post and send it viral. Hopefully it will give you a few ideas and tactics to implement the next time you publish your own blog post.
The process is;
Phase 1: Finding your platform
- Write for an already engaged audience
- Leverage guest blogging
Phase 2: Writing shareable content
- Rock the headline
- Solve a challenge
- Use sub-headings and lists
- Write it like you would an assignment
- Share the content of influencers in your post
Phase 3: Promoting your blog
- Create a connection with key influencers before blogging
- Schedule social snippets in the week following your post
- Reach out to influencers on social media
- Leverage your e-mail network
Phase 4: Re-purpose your content
- Re-use the content from your blog post on other platforms